Monday, March 2, 2020

I love to watch cooking videos.  I’m not a great cook, but I can do a few things well. When I watch these videos, I like to think I’m learning a little and improving my skill set, but really I’m mostly just enjoying watching the process.  There are a lot of great cooks on YouTube. Chef John at Food Wishes, Binging with Babish, and many more.

Adam Ragusea does some great cooking videos on YouTube.  I like the way he explains his reasons for the choices he makes, often bringing in scientific experts to explain the reasons why this or that works the way it does. In the video below, Adam does a great job of explaining why science is important.

Though I’m not a scientist, I am big fan of science. I think the best way understand any and all facets of the world is through the scientific method. Of course, we rarely have time to go through the whole process ourselves, so we have to take a shortcut, and trust the scientific consensus, the result of multiple research efforts, peer review, publication, and reiteration. I’m not a climatologist, but I accept the consensus opinion of that specialty on climate change. The same is true for evolution, vaccinations, the historicity of Jesus, and why anyone who doesn’t believe astronauts actually landed on the moon deserve a punch from Buzz Aldrin. Adam makes an important point in the video about the difference between earned opinions and unearned opinions, which he calls asshole opinions because everybody has one, and they stink. We shouldn’t care about anyone’s unearned opinion, even our own.  Watch the video and let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment